Summer Meals Grant Opportunity
Grant Application To Expand Participation in Summer Meals from Share Our Strength and Michigan No Kid Hungry
This application is for funding from Share Our Strength and Michigan No Kid Hungry to help organizations expand access to and participation in USDA-supported summer meals programs. If you wish to learn more about SFSP/NLSP summer meals and the summer meals program, please see: http://www.summerfood.usda.gov/ or http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7-140-6530_6569---,00.html
Application deadline: April 26, 2013
Applying organization must be:
- A 501c3 nonprofit organization currently in good standing, and/or other organization recognized by the IRS as eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions
- An SFSP or NSLP summer meal program sponsor for summer 2013. You must have already started the SFSP application process with your state agency at the time you submit your grant application. We will accept grant applications from organizations that have started the process and/or are awaiting approval from your state agency; however grants will only be awarded to organizations that are approved as program sponsors.
- Geographically limited to these targeted counties: Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Genesee, Saginaw, Emmet, Charlevoix, Antrim, Kalkaska, Roscommon, Grand Traverse, Benzie, Leelanau, Berrien, Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Barry, Kent, Ionia, Newago
The goal of this program is to increase the number of children participating in SFSP/NSLP summer meals programs. With that goal in mind, the following types of requests will receive top consideration for funding:
- Experienced sponsors adding sites in underserved areas
- Experienced sponsors notably increasing days of service or adding breakfast/lunch/supper
- New sponsors in unserved/underserved area with strong organizational infrastructure and capacity and opportunity to reach sizable population relative to their area
- Sponsors with open sites that articulate clearly thought out plans for increasing participation (either new sponsors, or returning sponsors who plan for participation increases while retaining the same number of sites) through methods such as programming, adult meals, outreach, transportation, etc.
- Requests for infrastructure/equipment that can support organizations in providing both afterschool and summer programs.
Amount of Request and Eligible Uses of Grant Funds:
- Funding may be used for equipment, personnel, transportation, and other non-food program expenses. As a general rule we do not provide funding for the cost of food. When possible, we prefer to fund expenses that will benefit your program beyond summer 2013.
- The average grant award will be $2,000. Organizations with potential for significant expansion and with clearly described plans for achieving their goals will be most likely to receive higher than the average grant amount.
- During summer 2013:
- Organizations selected as Michigan No Kid Hungry Summer Meals grantees will be asked to participate in community-based collaborative efforts to work towards statewide No Kid Hungry goals including attending and participating in coalition meetings, providing input into regional and statewide efforts, and sharing data and best practices with Michigan No Kid Hungry.
- Sponsors receiving No Kid Hungry Grants will be asked to encourage sites to use the current Michigan summer meals outreach message "Meet Up and Eat Up" and associated materials when printing and preparing outreach and site materials.
- In fall 2013 you will be asked to provide:
- A detailed report on use of funds
- Participation numbers (similar to information that is already required for sponsors to report for the USDA)
- Observations on the successes and challenges of your program over the course of the summer
- Organizations that do not submit a report will be ineligible to receive future grants from Share Our Strength
- Grant applications will be evaluated based on:
- Applicants will be notified of grant status by May 17.
- Grant payments will be issued after we have confirmed that you have been approved as an SFSP/ NSLP summer meals sponsor by your state agency, and after we receive your signed grant agreement letter.
- Adherence to Eligibility and Requirements guidelines
- Ability to reach high-need populations and/or areas under served by summer meals programs
- Growth potential for summer meals participation
- Information provided in proposal describes an understanding of the specific needs in your community, and a well-thought out plan for your summer program
- Funds requested are connected to the needs and plan presented in the proposalTo Apply:
1. Please read the eligibility and requirements for this grant to ensure your organization qualifies. (see above)
2. Get the application and create a login by clicking "CLICK HERE TO APPLY" at the end of this page.
3. First time applicants must create an account by clicking on “First Time User? Sign up.” found under the green login button. Use this email and password to login and follow the instructions found on the Applicant Portal site. Please also refer to detailed instructions on how to create a profile in our Applicant portal by clicking here.
4. If you would like to start your application and return to finish and submit it at another time, you may click on the link below and use your login information to access your application at any time.
5. Once you have completed your application, you can click on the “Submit Form” button found on the application. Clicking “Submit Form” will ensure your application is submitted and processed in a timely manner.
Please refer to detailed instructions on how to create a profile in our online Applicant portal by downloading this PDF document: No Kid Hungry Grant Application Instructions
For questions about eligibility or requirements to apply for this grant or about the summer meals program in general, please contact Sara Gold, Sara.Gold@liveunitedsem.org or (313) 415-2919.
Technical questions about completing the application form may be directed to Kasey Mitchell, Grants Associate, at email@example.com.